Monday, July 19, 2010

Livescribe Pulse Smartpen

Ooooh! Ooooooh! I love it!!

This is the most awesomest thing I have bought this year.

There are enough reviews online for me not to write one of my own. But I'll mention the most useful features here:

  • Captures everything I write / draw. This is the basic promise. A very well kept one.

  • Captures good audio. It's not crystal clear or anything, but is it works well in a meeting setting. I recorded three interviews today, alongwith notes. After I get the headset that someone took by mistake, I'll experiment with the more clear 3D recording capabilities.

  • It links the audio and notes together so you can replay what you were saying when you wrote a particular word.

  • It searches. Even cursive handwriting.

  • And then there's other fun stuff like drawing a paper piano and playing it. Or using a calculator by tapping the paper calculator on the inside cover of the starter notebook. Or drawing a cross for navigating the pen's main menus. Or bookmarking audio at specific points.

  • It uses dot paper for all the magic. But you are not restricted to the notebooks supplied by the company. You can print your own dot paper for free using any half decent printer!


All in all this is going to be very useful. The 2GB storage is more than enough. My 1:02:14 audio session used 12MB. So if you download the data even once a week, you'll be alright.

I'm loving it!

1 comment: